Wednesday, March 9, 2011

i'm not buying it



we had our book club gathering last night. our latest read was mordecai richler's "barney's version". so the menu was montreal (montreal smoked meat on rye. hummus for me), paris ( brisket and foie de gras. omelet for me) and jewish (latkes). we have a new member to our club so we're at an all time high of 5. some of us loved the book. some of us (myself included) hated it. barney is an egotistical, misogynist prick. and because the novel was narrated in first person, his presence and opinions never let up. i've known this man throughout my life. i've given up too much of my own power to this man. so i squirmed while i read it. and resented having to. one of our members didn't read it all and ended up throwing it out. a fitting act on this, international women's day. i don't buy into this any more.

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

You really didn't like the book much did you! :-)

Gina said...

I haven't read this book but I hear what you're saying and I'm with you all the way!