Wednesday, October 8, 2008

just an ordinary day

during the summer, at the cabin, i take breaks. to walk on the beach, to read a novel... at home i don't. because i am a full-time self-employed crafts person, it's so easy to fall into working all the time. and because my main process right now is knitting - i never have to stop. i can take it with me wherever i go. and in the evening when most people take a break from work, i can sit in front of the tv and keep working until i go to bed. especially this time of year, with craft fairs looming and never enough product made, it's tempting to put in 14-16 hour days.
yesterday i woke to cold rain. abigail hates the rain, so instead of heading off for her walk, we put on a fire, curled up on the couch and i read. now, this was a book given to me to review for the next issue of the craft council newsletter. and i didn't know when i'd fine time to read it and then write about it. as i sat and read, with my coffee and my dog, i felt such a peace come over me. my brain went still. the book "dyeing to knit" by elaine eskesen, was great. it was wonderful to just "do ordinary"...

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

sounds like a great way to take a break from knitting all day!