Sunday, November 9, 2008

why newfoundland is not my market


in newfoundland everyone, and their nan, knits. traditionally, in the isolated outport communities it was out of necessity. every community had sheep and in the winter months, when the fishing was over for the year, the women would knit mittens and hats and sweaters to keep their families warm. now women still knit (once a knitter, always a knitter) but they sell their work at flea markets and this time of year at christmas craft fairs. the price for handknit goods is very low and the knitters are happy just to make enough money to cover their materials. no money for their labour. these striped socks, that are expertly made (every end is tucked in) cost $6.50. when i questioned the knitter about her prices she said "oh well, people give me their bits and pieces so it doesn't cost me anything". this is why i don't sell my knitwear in newfoundland.
ps. the red socks are "thrummed". they are lined with knit-in uncarded fleece so they are unbelievabling soft and warm. they cost $18.00. you can purchase them at the craft council shop in st. john's (709 753-2749) - or at any newfoundland flea market!

4 comments:

skiingweaver said...

$6.50 for handknitted socks! Oh my. When I think how long that would take me to do... (I may, however, be the world's slowest knitter, lol.) The red socks sound heavenly!

PhatLady said...

I agree... even If I could make a pair in 1 hour, it would be too cheap!
Can I move to Newfoundland?

Anonymous said...

I met a German woman years ago who had a small flock of Rambouillet sheep. She would spin their fleece in the grease and knit socks and gloves. Socks were thick boot socks for $16.00 and gloves were $20.00. I remember she even took them home and lengthened the finger tips for me.

She became the inspiration for me to learn to knit socks, and someday, I hope, some gloves. I know now that she sold at those prices because she had to, to keep anything coming in the door. The history of women having to do this work for a pittance is long and sad; I only hope the women you refer to are doing it for pleasure in this day and age.

Shammickite said...

I've knittede socks... it's a long job, I think the last pair took me abbout 3 months to finish them!