Saturday, April 23, 2011
the far left and the far east. day 3
1. started with an early morning walk through chinatown (the oldest and second largest in north america). and a visit to the golden gate fortune cookie factory where the first fortune cookies were made for the 1915 world exposition.
2. down keroac lane to city lights bookstore - cultural hub of the beat generation. and then next door to vesuvio (the hangout for of ferlinghetti and ginsberg and keroac) where we met the lovely josephine.
3.after lunch (a great outdoor picnic from the molinari deli) we took a taxi to the asian art museum to see the bali art exhibition and look at their collection of ancient and contemporary asian art.
4. and then a stroll through the international flea market in front of city hall.
5. a walk down market street in the tenderloin to the lugggage store gallery one of the few san franciscan galleries to carry alternative urban art. (they've also reclaimed the back alley and turned it into a little garden oasis.)
6. and to end the day i checked out the most raved about yarn shop in san fransisco artfibers where the owner roxanne has knit up swatches for every type of yarn she carries.