Tuesday, June 2, 2009

botticelli's venus


i was an outcast in my last years of high school. i didn't fit and rather than have that "otherness" in my face all the time, mostly i chose to be alone. i also didn't eat in those days, so i spent my lunch hour every day in the school library discovering the "classics" (i had no-one to point me in their direction), and looking at art books. most of the books were "encyclopedia" type with tiny grainy photos - often in black and white. but this is where i fell in love. and i continue to cherish my "first loves". botticelli was one of those loves, and his "birth of venus" was the inspiration for my latest yarn.

2 comments:

Taos Sunflower said...

I was in the same boat in high school...probably the most miserable years in my life. So brilliant of you to use that time so wisely.

Anonymous said...

I also was a bit of an outsider in high school, just couldn't find my crowd. Don't worry, you're not alone in your aloneness.

Your Botticelli-inspired yarn is just beautiful.