Tuesday, March 10, 2009

jane austen



i was married in june of 1970 (at the much too young age of 20). we took the summer off of school and work and hitchiked out to vancouver for awhile and for the rest of the summer lived on a farm and looked after a large family garden and watched the barn kittens frolic in silhouette against the sunset and read d.h.lawrence. in years to come we always referred to that summer as the d.h. lawrence summer. well this winter has been my jane austen winter. i haven't read her for i'd say 30 years. i marvel at the patience i had for reading the classics as a teenager and even as a young mother. this time i struggled to get into austen's world but once i did, i fell... this is why her books are classics. and last. this is my "jane austen" yarn.

3 comments:

Homestead Wool & Gift Farm said...

got to your blog through a mutual friend Martie-and love it! Your writing style is so fun and seeing part of a place that I will never get to is special. Will visit often! Sandy & the sheep

Brenda Stratton said...

What a lovely post.

Janet Davis said...

Hitch-hiking and Jane Austen in the same post... not the most expected!

I've been reading Mansfield Park this winter, but it certainly isn't my favourite of her books. I can only get a few pages at a time- my only reading time is before bed, and then I fall asleep too quickly!

I'm enjoying your blog more and more. Keep up the beautiful posting!