Thursday, March 19, 2009

as an experiment

when most spinners buy a braid of hand dyed roving, they card it and then spin it. i've never done that. i treat the braid as a paint-box. i take it apart. i tear off bits of colour. i rearrange. and then i add these bits to other types of fleece and fibre. i add sparkle sometimes. clumps of mohair locks. cut up commercial novelty yarns. the whole experience is a creative adventure. this is what i did with the lighter skein of yarn. with the rest of that braid (from taossunflowertoo) i decided to see what it was like to spin straight. the resulting skein is lovely. the colours remind me of a desert pre-dawn. but the process was boring. i felt like i was just a spinning machine. my "creative" input wasn't there. all the artistic decisions had already been made by someone else in the dyeing. so i won't do that again...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's fun to hear what your process is. THanks for sharing it...I love the analogy of the paint box.

Unknown said...

It's funny, sometimes I feel like I am violating another person's work to tear apart a braid of handpainting roving. It feels wrong or, at least, daring. And I do have times when I am happy to just spin without making other decisions, just letting the fleece and colours do their magic.

It's all good! (as Martha would say : ))