Tuesday, May 3, 2011

orange but blue


yesterday (election day in canada) brought with it a roller coaster of emotions. i spun up this large orange skein in the afternoon. orange is the colour of the ndp (new democratic party). sending well wishes to all it's candidates. and well they did - becoming for the first time in canadian history the official opposition party. this was partly due to the youth vote and i find that overwhelmingly encouraging for the future. but in the mean time, the conservative party was re-elected. stronger than ever and this time with a majority. and it terrifies me to think of what stephen harper will shape this country into.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I woke up with the same worried feeling.

murphytrinity said...

I share the anxiety. How can it be that we vote in a PM who holds Cdn parliamenty procedure (and people) in such contempt?

NDP re-took my riding but it is small comfort given the big picture...blues and greys with a tetch of orange

KAREN said...

Love your orange wool.Fabulous........

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Hi Shawn...I too was horrified by the blue majority but like you, trying to look at how amazing the orange did and that I was a part of that history!The orange won over the blue in my riding. Can't wait to see your felted piece you're working on...love the orange skein. oh and the garlic too!

Marzipan Road said...

I think an awful lot of us woke up in dismay and disbelief after the election. Here's hoping it doesn't turn out nearly as bad as we all think it might. :(