Tuesday, January 5, 2010

colouring outside the lines



this winter - for the first time in 12 years - i'm not teaching at the university. i've always taught 1 course in the winter semester but this year enrolment was so low that they had to cancel out. my feeling is that my teaching days are over. after the initial panic about not having any other income to fall back on, other than what i generate with my fibre, my over riding feeling is one of freedom. this job was my last tie to an institution. a world where i have never been comfortable. for the first time in my life i feel i can "colour outside the lines" and no-one will care...

2 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, i know that feeling of freedom....for me it came with a lay-off at my school where about 25 people lost their jobs. I had planned to continue working for a few more years and so the transition was difficult. But after about 6 months, I realized that I liked retirement and 'coloring outside the lines. Hooray for you! Enjoy the year and your new-found freedom.

Kim said...

While change can be initially scary, it often brings wonderful surprises. I'm sure this will open the door to a new adventure for you. By the way - I love seeing your creations next to the photos.
Kim