Wednesday, October 14, 2009
what i loved about montreal. day 1
i just spent 3 days in montreal visiting with my son and his girlfriend. here are some of the things i loved.
1. vintage shops. i had so many ideas for product display. i would have bought this stand if i could have sent it home and used it to display my yarn and product at craft shows. and use it in the garden in the summer. i did finally find an old glove mold to use to show off my fingerless gloves.
2. bicycles are everywhere in montreal. (not in corner brook). montreal has recently introduced the "bixi" bike system where you can rent a bike at one location, ride it around all day and leave it at another location at the end of the day. very dutch!
3. food. food from any country you can think of. here we had a chilean lunch. i had a salad with avocado oil. the smoothest oil i have ever tasted. brought a bottle back with me. we also ate indian and chinese.
4. the first time i was in montreal was for expo '67. i was 17. very impressionable. i remember the homes with outdoor staircases. it makes so much sense. gives more room inside and acts as a fire-escape. some of them are very ornate.
5. the first day we spent walking in the plateau area. lots of neat shops - yarn and vintage clothing etc. lots of ethnic mix. here was a Portuguese park - gorgeous blue and white tiles.
6. coffee is an important part of my life. it has to be strong. this was probably the best cappachino i've had in north america. had to take a photo of it to remember...
7. montreal seems more european than north american. the style, the pace, the language. continental breakfast.