Thursday, October 8, 2009

peach



we've had days of rain but the skies cleared for a short while yesterday. i took advantage of it by getting out the dye pots. the forcast was for rain in the afternoon so i set up in the greenhouse for a little protection. i've been wanting some royal blue and some peach to spin with. the peach colour was tricky (the ball of yarn in the picture was my colour inspiration). my background is in painting. with paint, i know how to mix any colour. but dyes are different. with paint you always start with the lightest colour and add the darker ones to get the hue you want. with dyes, the intensity is equal (in other words yellow is as strong as turquoise - or stronger) so you either call on your dyeing buddy brenda for advice (which i do) or you experiment (which i do) and end up with unexpected colours. my first attempt at peach turned out too brown but i got it on the second. i'm keeping notes...

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love the colors. The royal blue is so vibrant. I have yet to try dyeing wool, but someday as my hooking habit progresses, I'm sure I'll try it.
Kim