Tuesday, July 14, 2009

turning a negative into a positive

alders grow rampant in newfoundland. along the edge of highways. taking over vacant farmer's fields. nobody wants alders on their land. recently robyn researched alder as a dye material for wool and found that every part of the bush can be used. the leaves - boiled for an hour and then with the addtion of alum as a mordant (to keep the colour in) and the fleece left to soak overnight, gives this rich yellow. and the cut up twigs, soaked in water for a couple of days and then again with the addition of alum, gave a pale white gold colour. i'll never look at alder the same way again...

1 comment:

Robyn said...

My twigs are still soaking! Indeed, bubbling - they are starting to ferment. I think I will leave them for as long as I have the patience to leave them. I think the longer the soak, the deeper the colour....

And yes, alders went from enemy #1 to a good friend.