Sunday, February 12, 2012

emma louisa


a couple of weeks ago i was contacted by a 2nd cousin who is doing a geneology of my father's side of the family.
growing up we didn't have much to do with them. my parents tended to isolate themselves. there were 10 siblings in the family so there are many cousins that i don't know. lee has been filling me in. yesterday she sent me information about my great-great-grandparents. they were the ones that came to canada in the 1870's. originally from ireland, to scotland and then to britain, john hagan was in the british army. he married emma louisa sootheran. it turns out that emma was gentry. wealthy land owners in yorkshire. descendents still own some of the land and some of it now houses
ampleforth college
what i love about this story is that she left her home, her family, her wealth, and married for love. and then left for canada. and settled in lancelot, ontario near huntsville - a tiny, rocky farming community. this story is so jane austen. so bronte. i love that i'm related to her...

5 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

We might be related! My Grandmother's people were from Yorksire too. They were Boyntons and had an aristocratic estate...

Stitching Upstairs said...

How lucky you are to have this info. My family was also from Ireland but facts seems lost to the past.

Rita said...

What a wonderful story!
I have just found cousins in Conche,NF and learned they came from Christchurch, England. The internet is wonderful.

Unknown said...

rita - my partner keith's mum is from conche. she was a dower. what are your cousins names? (everyone there knows everyone else...)

Rita said...

My cousins are Simmons, symmonds, symmons...lol
This my fathers side, he was born in Harbor Grace.
Dower sounds familar, but we have no Dowers that I know of.

What a beautiful place, I am having a ball learning about it.