Wednesday, January 4, 2012

learning to love winter


i am not a fan of winter. i spend the winter months (and there are many of them here in newfoundland) indoors. resenting where i live. ignoring what is going on outside and waiting for the warmth to return. i made a conscious decision this year to change my mind. i don't want to feel detached from the natural world for almost half the year.

my holiday reading was adam gopnik's collection of essays called "winter". i finished it last night and absolutely loved it. (although i do confess i flipped through the essay on hockey...)
i'm determined to embrace this season. get out every day and experience the weather - no matter how severe it is. abigail says she's along for the ride.

4 comments:

Joni of Fully Wooly Primitives said...

What an interesting post! I had never heard of Adam Kopnik but listened to the video. He speaks so well. I love the winter only because for me it is a time of hibernation and I don't have to do any gardening etc. I can just stay inside and hook my mats. I have downloaded his book and will give it a read. I do love the cover of the one you show! Unfortunately that cover is not available :( thanks for sharing - Joni

Robyn said...

Yes!!

Joni of Fully Wooly Primitives said...

and that is Adam Gopnik...i just picked it up today (with the cover i liked) and I know it will be a good read! thanks again

Anonymous said...

hi, jsoi from kate davies' post on muhu island needlework.
i've been having a rough time with winter this year and have found waverly fitzgerald school for the seasons packet on midwinter celebrations a livesaver. she goes through the extensive pagan celebrations of the solstice -- a liminal time, the 12 days of christmas, when spirits walk the earth -- with plenty of recipes, songs, rituals and sun worshipping ceremonies.
which is what it's all about.
hope you're getting some sun. ;-)