Friday, September 11, 2009

what my garden gave


in a couple of weeks, my gardening season will be over. this was my first year growing vegetables in 25 years (i had a huge garden at another home when my children were young). i didn't plant root crops which would be the sensible and traditional thing to grow in newfoundland. my plot is small and it's easy to buy good local root crops here. so the more delicate plants - the ones that are sensitive to early frost- have come and gone. yesterday i pulled down the pea plants and dug up the lettuce patch. in the greenhouse i've picked my last cucumber. the tomatoes are coming on strong and every day we're eating fresh tomatoes in salads, in soups... this summer the garden has been my reprieve from my work. i'm sad to have it end.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

It sounds like it was a successful season...how did it get to be fall so quickly?