Monday, September 21, 2009

a gentle lover





we built our cabin in dark cove on the south shore of the bay of islands almost 10 years ago. when keith and i go away together, it's either to st. john's to visit the family or to the cabin. dark cove is like a dangerous lover. the cabin looks out onto the open ocean. it's often rough and menacing. having come from gentile southern ontario, i have always found dark cove a challenge. i am always guarded because this is a landscape/seascape that i didn't grow up with. i absolutely love it and it teaches me things about myself. it has made me stronger. it's my dangerous lover.
i first spent time in woody point over 30 years ago. it is there that i feel at home. a tiny community. there is a stillness there. a calm. i look out at the ocean across to the lights of other small communities and i feel safe. like being with a gentle, familiar lover. i'm happy to have both in my life.

No comments: