Friday, May 8, 2009

ta da!


my father owned a nursery in toronto in the late '40's to mid-'60's. i spent the first 3 years of my life living at the nursery. we had a little adobe style house. all 5 of us slept in one room. we had a horse and a river in the backyard. but mostly we had the greenhouses. throughout my life, i enter into a greenhouse and i enter into bliss. the heat. the earthy smell. the riot of colour. when i first moved to newfoundland in the mid-70's we built a greenhouse in this style and, along with a big garden, we grew all our own vegetables and fed the family throughout the year. newfoundland has a short cool summer and a greenhouse adds 2 months onto the growing season. it's a necessity. it's raining now. i'm going to take my coffee out to the greenhouse. bring in a chair. close it up and listen to the rain.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Hooray!

Trailing Mira said...

ooouuu... what a great design! I am beginning my first garden (ever) this year... a little daunting, but I am sure it'll work out fine :)

Niki said...

Looks great Shawn. I'd love to be there enjoying tea with you. We'll make a greenhouse date!
Enjoy...before too long it will be smelling deliciously earthy.

Taos Sunflower said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more about what you grow.

angella said...

yummy! i can smell the fresh herbs from here!