Thursday, July 17, 2008

reaching another goal

i finished off the painted birdhouse yesterday (a fundraiser for the woody point writer's festival) and as a reward, attached my new jumbo flyer to my spinning wheel. last september, while i was in new york city, i found a skein of ozark handspun by david gentsch and knew i had to learn how to spin so that i could make yarn like that. it's thick and nubbly and wonky. this jumbo flyer is gonig to allow me to do that (the opening is larger so i can feed thicker yarn through it and the bobbin is bigger so it holds more). last night we were out to the opening of this summer's gros morne music festival, so it wasn't till i got home that i had a chance to try it out (i tore myself away at 11:30). my inspiration is the honeysuckle that's breaking out in bloom right now. i'll be knitting a honeysuckle shawl.

No comments: