Tuesday, July 1, 2008

evening in paris

my mother was beautiful. when i was a child in the 1950's i would sit on the side of the bed and watch her get ready for an evening out. she had a skirted vanity table. she would apply pancake makeup and rouge and she would curl her eyelashes before applying cake maybeline mascara. she had a strapless evening gown that was pink and covered with spun-sugar netting. the finishing touch was a dab of evening in paris perfume behind each ear. the bottle was navy and elegant. my latest scarf reminds me of all that...

2 comments:

Shammickite said...

What a nice memory!
I remember Evening in Paris too, it was considered very elegant in it's day!!

bluebird of paradise said...

I love this vignette of your mother. I loved "the evening in paris" bottle and my mom's red maybelline mascara with the minature pull drawer and the tiny red brush.