Thursday, August 14, 2008

extremes

i'm dyeing and spinning and knitting my products to sell. although it's important to me that i like everything i make, i also have to create for a wide range of tastes. my last 2 skeins of yarn are good examples of this. "cafe au lait" is organic merino wool dyed with coffee grounds and spun with a little ramie(a nettle-like plant), camel and tussah silk. very very soft and luxurious and "tasteful". "crayola" is the exact opposite. i chose my brightest colours of merino wool mixed with contrasting colourful mohair fibre locks and a generous amount of angelina glitter. it's loud and "clashy" and definitely "tasteless". i love them both...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just recently found your blog. I LOVE YOUR HAND SPUN YARNS!!! Do you sell the yarns themselves, or do you only make things with them then sell the items? I LOVE THESE! You are totally after my heart with these hand spuns! Do you know http://www.ozarkhandspun.com/
I love these too and yours look even better!

Unknown said...

hi becky. ozarkyarns was my inspiration to learn how to spin - i knew i had to learn how to make yarn like that to knit with! i'm using all my yarn for my scarves for now (big craft fair in december) but after that i'll be selling yarn through my etsy shop. thanks for your support!